Shatottar Rajat Jayanti Sangrahashala
is an addition to the list of assets that our Burdwan Municipal High School
can be proud of. We deem the students the greatest treasure of our hallowed
institution and also the teachers who with their talent and dedication
have nurtured the budding talents and led them to come to fruition since
the inception of the school back in 1883.
It should be deemed as an obligation of all associated
this dear institution of ours, to prevent the history from passing into
oblivion. In a bid to preserve the glorious track record of our school
with a view to paying a tribute to the founders of the reputation on the
institution as well as making the upcoming generations aware of their
legacy, the authority decided this museum. We seized upon the gala occasion
of the celebration of the 125th year of our existence and the museum was
inaugurated on 6th January 2008.
Location:The museum named Shatottar
Rajat Jayanti Sangrahashala is housed in a large room in the extended
western part of the Centenary Building used by Primary Section of our
Patronage: The museum mainly the brainchild
of Sri Arunabha Chakraborty could not have seen the light of the day but
for the assistance of Sri Swapan Biswas, Secretary of the Celebration
Committee and the financial support from Sri Promothanath Adhikari and
Bijoli Bala Sarkar.
Items on display: There is no denying
fact that the museum has a very modest beginning and much more is yet
to be done. At present the museum has on display the following items:
- Portraits (Both photographs & paintings) of teachers who have
- Portraits (Both photographs & paintings) of headmasters of both
primary & secondary sections, who have retired.
- Portraits (Both photographs & paintings) of secretaries who
had served this institution sometime.
- Portraits (Both photographs & paintings) of ex-students who
have made their mark in different fields.
- Portraits (Both photographs & paintings) of the members of
the royal family of Burdwan Raj
- Photographs of the old buildings of the school located at different
spots of the town. Many of them do no longer exist.
- Old machines like typewriters, cyclostyle printer, spinning machines,
antique wall clocks.
- Old documents and registers
- Old and rare books
- Old school magazines & souvenirs
- Old coins collected and donated by students. The donation has been
- A fragmented Avalokitesvara image dating back to the 10th century.
- Terracotta decorations donated by an ex-student.
- Samples of art works by students who had participated in an art
- Old desk. Such desks had been in use before the new type of benches
We consider that we have just laid the foundation
and the mighty edifice that will be a befitting memorial to our school
is yet to be erected. We want to extend the museum and enrich the stock
with new collections. Assistance in the form of advice, photographs, documents
and last but not the least monetary help is highly solicited from all
associated with the glorious tradition of the school.
You may contact us directly at school or by firstname.lastname@example.org
Site Visited: 436679 times
© Copyright BMHS Burdwan All Right Reserved, 2012-2013 | Powered By : CyberianZ